Sunday, August 1, 2010
Thursday, July 29, 2010
2. Modern bathrooms. Buyers are looking for master baths that give a little room to roam.
A big asset: spa or whirlpool tubs.
Some other features buyers are seeking: separate showers with steam and/or multiple jets, double sink, and a separate room for the toilet.
Be sure the plumbing and hot water heater can handle the job. The pipes have to be large enough to carry an adequate volume of water and the hot water heater has to be big enough to accommodate it.
3. A well-appointed master suite. People are really excited about master suites. The wish list: a luxurious bathroom, lounging areas and walk-in closets.
4. Natural materials. People like natural materials. Such as Ceramic tile, hardwood floors, and granite. People have gone back to a real appreciation for historically true materials. And simulated works as well. The look is very popular.
In floor coverings -- especially bathrooms or kitchens -- people look for ceramic tile or wood rather than linoleum, which can tear.
In the rest of the house, wood or laminate products are a plus. But if you have carpet, it should be a good product and well maintained.
6. A light, airy spacious feel. People buy space and light. Not many people want to live in a dark, and dreary home.
7. Good windows. People are looking at exposures and windows. Energy efficiency is very important to every buyer.
Insulated windows are always a plus, Typically, they pay for themselves in five years. The cost: for an average 2,600-square-foot home, estimate about $10,000 for new windows.
Well-placed skylights are also a good touch to add value.
8. Landscaping. Mature trees are worth a lot, and having outdoor spaces with touches such as pergolas and Victorian garden swings can be very helpful.
Conversely, you don't have to spend a fortune on plants, either. Just keep it typical with the neighborhood.
9. Lots of storage. Nothing beats an oversized garage, some attic space and plenty of closets. If you have a two-car garage, do you have extra space for those things we all have -- bicycles, lawn mower, snow blower? Space is important.
A nice plus in the master suite? Two master closets for him and her.
10. Basement. If it's dry, it's a plus. It's a negative if it has water problems.
A finished basement adds even more value.